Although my life has felt like a bit of an X-Files episode and I have not been posting, I have not completely taken a break from sewing. I have done a few small projects here and there. I figured I would post them all in one spot.
First up, two creations using Simplicity 3688.
The finished product:
Third Up, a novelty print skirt using Simplicity 3478
I really enjoy this skirt pattern. It is so flattering and so easy to work with when you are using a single direction print. And the love I have for novelty print is strong, so when I find a pattern that works, I hold true :) I originally made this dress using a stripe that went one direction. I wrote all about it here. This dress had pretty pleats throughout and because of the print on this skirt I decided to use the artist tape trick to keep super straight clean lines (I didn't want a wonky donkey!). Here are some pictures of how I set up the pleats using the tape:
|I love how the lines are nice and straight. And for sewers like me who have ADSD (attention deficit sewing disorder) it is a nice way to keep track of what line goes where!|
I went to the fair and got so many compliments on my skirt. have you made any parts of this pattern yet?
The burro skirt:
Fourth, a novelty print skirt and blouse using Simplicity 2154
I have made this skirt two times now, and be warned- it runs big! The top on the other hand runs pretty true to size. I was a little miffed bc I cut the smaller size thinking it would follow the sizing of the skirt, so my "girls" are a little squished! But just like the set I made above in creation #1 I love the versatility of the top and skirt. My only real struggle with this outfit is finding a pale pink cardigan and shoes to go with it!
|Isn't this print just the cutest??|
I should have extended the length of the top by about an inch or so. As you can see the darts do not sit quite right. I am not sure if I would have cut the larger size if the darts would be in the right place. But generally I lengthen all patterns by an inch or so. I had some major issues with the bow on this shirt. The material is a heavy cotton and I had originally put interfacing into the bow (I believe the pattern instructed to do so). The interfacing made the bow piece so hard and stiff I could not get it into the shape of the bow! Thank GOODNESS I buy fabric by the bolt not knowing what the project is I will be using it. I had enough fabric to re-cut the piece and did not insert the interfacing this time. The second attempt of the bow went much more smoothly.
This is an easy skirt pattern to follow (once you get the sizing right). I lengthened it a bit as I like my skirts below the knee. This skirt pattern would lend itself nicely to the addition of side-seam pockets as the zipper is at the back (I just may do this next time!)
Please excuse the lack of shoes and accessories. I wanted to snap a few quick pics to add to show you the skirt/shirt combo as I have not worn this outfit yet. It is snowing up a storm outside (YES, in April!) so you are subjected to the ugly bedroom door!